Monday, July 31, 2017

Hon Family photos from the 1960s

Here's an assortment of family photos from the 1960s. The biggest event in our immediate family was my parents' marriage. Rosalia Jane Hon wed widower George F. Matyn on May 18, 1963. I (Marian) was born a year later and Alice three years later. In 1967 they bought a home at 604 Michigan Avenue in Grayling so Dad could fish in Lake Margarethe, a lake he had visited and fished often throughout his life due to maternal relatives living and working in the area. He loved to fish! We moved there permanently in the summer of 1969, from East Detroit, right before I began kindergarten. They lived there and were a huge part of the community and St. Mary's Catholic Church until they passed to their eternal rewards, Mom on March 7, 2016 and Dad on Feb. 28, 2017. Al died at age 28 from diabetes complications. We were blessed with more good times than bad and lots of wonderful friends. The positive is the part I chose to focus on. They both had many photos and lots of history from both sides of the family. They were proud of their heritage, family, friends, and what they worked hard to get together, and freely helped others. What a great legacy!

George and Rosalia Matyn, May 18, 1963

Mom and Grandma Hon

The Paul Hons, Dec. 1963: in back Jim, David, Ron, middle: MaryPat, Tom, Barb,
in front: Ann Marie, Aunty Evie, Susie, Uncle Paul

June 1963 in Fostoria, Ohio, visiting with the Ed Hons: Grandma Hon, Dad, Mom, Steven, Aunty Altamae, Greg,  Uncle Ed

Aug. 1966- I'm not sure where: back row: Uncle Carl, Aunty Phyllis holding Eddie, Dad Uncle Ed,  Tom, Jim, in front Susie in front of AnnMarie, and Barb, unusually there are no names on this photo

Uncle Cliff, Tom Hipp, Aunty Frances holding me, Dad holding Al must be in Grayling because of the pines

Easter March 1967, in East Detroit, Mom, Al who has received Sassafrass "Sassy" her lifelong beloved stuffed rabbit, me (aren't we cuties?) We probably are just in from Easter Mass.

This is also spring 1967 but in Grayling on the west front side of 604. Dad is holding Al and wearing a tie carrying newspaper and his Mass missal, so we have just left church and picked up the paper while on our way home. Mom carried this photo, with many others, always in her wallet. Something clearly has my attention, I wonder what? Maybe Grandma Hon. Check out those socks. Sadly, I've never been a fashionista.

Aug. 1968 in Grayling in front of the garage and where the storage shed is now:
Aunty Irene, me, Ann Hon, Aunty Frances, Uncle Carl and Mom standing, sitting are Dad with Al, Grandma Hon

And suddenly the world went from black and white to color! Wow!!!
Feb. 1968, Al is 2 and I am 4, in our jammies in the East Detroit kitchen. I do not remember it at all.
You know we are in Detroit because of the Vernors bottle.

I want to blog once more on the Hons from the 1970s of major events, mostly weddings and gatherings. Then I will take a break for a bit, sort boxes of photos, and switch to the Matyns. I hope you've enjoyed this family photo tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment